On Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th may the Court will hear the case of R (on the application of Imam) v London Borough of Croydon, on appeal from  EWCA Civ 601. The Court will consider when should a mandatory order against a local housing authority be made to enforce a duty owed to a homeless individual under s193(2) of the Housing Act 1996 (the “1996 Act”)? In particular, the court should take account of either: (a) budgetary constraints imposed on the housing authority; or (b) the availability of housing under a non-secured tenancy under Part VII of the 1996 Act (as opposed to a secured tenancy under Part VI of the 1996 Act). The hearing will begin at 10:00am in Courtroom 1.
On Thursday 4th may the Court will hear the case of R (on the application of Wang and another) v Secretary of State for the Home Departmenton appeal from  EWCA Civ 679. This appeal raises issues concerning: (1) the meaning of “control” of investment money in the relevant provisions of the Immigration Rules and the facts and circumstances relevant to the assessment of “control”; and (2) the approach to the interpretation of the Immigration Rules. The hearing will begin at 10:30am in Courtroom 2.
The following Supreme Court judgments remain outstanding: (As of 05/05/23)
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust v Flowers and Ors, heard 22 June 2021
- Canada Square Operations Ltd v Potter, heard 14th June 2022
- Unger and another (in substitution for Hasan) v Ul-Hasan (deceased) and anotherheard 20th October 2022
- Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland and another v Agnew and others (Northern Ireland), heard 14th-15th December 2022
- Smith and another v Royal Bank of Scotland, heard 12th January 2023
- Republic of Mozambique (acting through its Attorney General) v Privinvest Shipbuilding SAL (Holding) and othersheard 24-25th January 2023
- R (PACCAR Inc and others) v Competition Appeal Tribunal and othersheard 16th February 2023.
- Lifestyle Equities CV and another v Ahmed and anotherheard 20th February 2023
- JTI POLSKA Sp. Zoo and others v Jakubowski and othersheard 28th February 2023
- Thaler v Comptroller-General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks, heard 2nd March 2023
- The Manchester Ship Canal Company Ltd v United Utilites Water Ltd No 2heard 6th March 2023
- London Borough of Merton Council v Nuffield Health Ltdheard 7th March 2023
- R (on the application of Palmer) v Northern Derbyshire Magistrates Court and anotherheard 8th March 2023
- R (on the application of Toraane and another) v Secretary of State for the Home Departmentheard 9th March 2023
- R (on the application of Officer W80) v Director General of the Independent Office for Police Conduct and others, heard 13th March 2023
- Jalla and another v Shell International Trading and Shipping Company and another, heard 27th March 2023
- Secretary of State for Transport v Curzon Park Ltd and others, heard 19th April 2023
- Independent Workers Union of Great Britain v Central Arbitration Committee and anotherheard 25th April 2023
- R (on the application of Worcestershire County Council) v Secretary of State for Health and Social Careheard 27th April 2023
- R (on the application of Imam) v London Borough of Croydonheard 3rd May 2023
- R (on the application of Wang and another) v Secretary of State for the Home Departmentheard 4th May 2023